Kakinada port is located at kakinada off the east coast of India. It is 170 km (106 mi) souht of Vishakhapatnam Port.
Kakinada port is a large complex comprising akinada ancorage port, Kakinada Deep Water Port, Kakinada fishing harbour and ship-breaking unit. Kakinada Ancorage Port has a century-long tradition.
Kakinada Deep Water Port is an all weather deep water port, and the chennal has a depth of 12 metres (39 ft). The port can handle vessels up to 50,000 DWT. The port handled 10.81 million tonnes of cargo in 2010-11. Recently AP Govt has developed kakinada beach and it has 100 acres of land covered from port to uppdata area.
The Office of the Superintendent of Customs & Central Excise, Shore Guard Customs Preventive Unit, Kakinada, is presently located in the Customs Preventive Division, situated at D.No. 70-3-4814 ABC, Vaidya Nagar, Ramanayyapet, Kakinada. The jurisdiction of S.G.C.P Kakinada falls along the Coastline of the Bay of Bengal in East Godavari District and the name district of Union Territory of Puducherry. lts northern outpopt is Addaripet (Near Tuni) and southern outpost is Godavari Canal at Antarvedi, which is a drain originating from Dowle aram Barage on Godavari River at Rajahmundry and emptying into Bay of Bengal. The jurisdiction of this unit stretches from north to south 162 km approximately (from Addaripet to Antervedi). The
unit has been formed for customs preventive and anti-smuggling work including sea patrolling, coastal patrolling and shore surveillance in 12 coastal mandals of East Godavari District covering 85 coastal villages and the Yanam district under the Union Territory of Puducherry. In the jurisdiction of the SGCP, Kakinada nearly 23 important landing / vulnerable points on which the unit is keeping eyes to avert any type of smuggling, unauthorised entry of boats, persons and goods by way of conducting regular public awareness meetings in the coastal villages along with Coastal Marine Police, Coast Guard, Forest Department and also developing an e ctive informer base. This unit registered two cases on illegal smuggling of scrap and waste oil through coastline.
2. Marine Police Stations: The following are the Coastal Security Police Stations (Marine Police) to cover the entire coastal area falling under the East Godavari District
1. Vakalapudi 2. Odalarevu 3. Antharvedipalem
3. Light Houses:
1. Vakalapudi Light House - F 0964 at Kakinada
2. Sacramento Light House - F 0958 at Bejjavaripet, Kandikuppa
3. Antharvedi Light House - F 0957 at Antharvedipalem.
4 Ports: 1) Kakinada Anchoarge Port
2) Kakinada Deep Water Port
In addition to the above, Ravva (Surasenayanam) in East Godavari District was declared as a Minor Poft vide G.O.Ms.No.19 TR&B (P) Dept., Dt. 30-1-96. it is an off shore single buoy mooring system established about 11 Km, from Surasenayanam shore area for collecting off shore oil from
oil rigs. The above facility is exclusively used for handling of Crude Oil transportation.
5. Goast Guard Station :
One lndian Coast Guard Station was established at Kakinada to guard the sea coast line falling under the di icts of East Godavari and West Godavari.
Future Projects :
1. One Port in between Kakinada and Tuni.to cater the needs of the units coming under the GMR Special Economic Zone and proposed Petroleum, Chemical and Petrochemicals Investment Region (PCPIR), Visakhapatnam.
2. LNG Terminal : One Floating Liquid Natural Gas Terminal is proposed to set up at Kakinada. If itis a Joint Venture between AP government and GAIL, GDF SUEZ and Shell.
3. Dreding Harbour : The central government recently announced to establish a dredging harbor in Antarvedi waters. The centre has allocated Rs 1800 crore to build this Dredging Harbor with international standards.