Krishnapatnam Port is a privately built and owned all weather, deep water port on the east coast of India, located in the Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh. It is located about 190 km north of the Chennai Port and 18 km east of the city of Nellore. The port is owned and operated by the Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited (KPCL) which is 92% owned by Hyderabad-based CVR Group. The London-based equity firm 3i Group Plc owns the remaining 8% equity in the KPCL.
It is being built in three phases. Post the completion of the first phase in a record time of 18 months, Krishnapatnam Port was dedicated to the nation on July 17, 2008. Currently the second phase of development is underway. Port has numerous strengths like its area, location and weather; it will soon be poised to become one of the biggest ports in the world.
Krishnapatnam is a port town in Muthukur Mandal of Nellore District, the southernmost coastal district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. The history says that Vijayanagar Emperor, Sri Krishnadevaraya operated this port, hence the port was named as Krishnapatnam Port. The port operated small boats through Buckingham Canal, which runs behind the port and was used as a waterway for transportation between Chennai in the south and Krishna river delta in the north. Later in 1960’s iron ore was exported by wooden boats from this port and in early 1980’s Government of India declared this port as a minor port.